|Region||Cagayan Valley (Region II)|
|Marine waterbodies||South China Sea, Luzon Strait|
|Area (2007)||83.13 km2 (32.10 sq mi)|
|Density (2015)||34 / km2 (89 / sq mi)|
|Coordinates||20° 47' North, 121° 50' East (20.7858, 121.8407)|
|Estimated elevation above sea level||98.8 meters (323.9 feet)|
Itbayat is a coastal municipality in the island province of Batanes.
The municipality has a land area of 83.13 square kilometers or 32.10 square miles which constitutes 37.96% of Batanes's total area. Its population as determined by the 2015 Census was 2,867. This represented 16.62% of the total population of Batanes province, or 0.08% of the overall population of the Cagayan Valley region. Based on these figures, the population density is computed at 34 inhabitants per square kilometer or 89 inhabitants per square mile.
Itbayat has 5 barangays as shown in the following table.
Demographic profile of barangays
|Barangay||Population percentage (2015)||Population (2015)||Population (2010)||Change (2010‑2015)||Annual Population Growth Rate (2010‑2015)|
The population of Itbayat grew from 2,365 in 1960 to 2,867 in 2015, an increase of 502 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a negative growth rate of 0.78%, or a decrease of 121 people, from the previous population of 2,988 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
The municipal center of Itbayat is situated at approximately 20° 47' North, 121° 50' East, in the island of Itbayat. Elevation at these coordinates is estimated at 98.8 meters or 323.9 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Itbayat are Laoag, Batac, Tuguegarao, Tabuk, Vigan, and Ilagan. The nearest municipalities are Basco, Mahatao, Ivana, Uyugan, Sabtang, and Calayan. Its distance from the national capital is 691.72 kilometers (429.81 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- Basco, Batanes, 39.43 kilometers (24.50 miles) to the South‑Southeast (S20°E)
- Mahatao, Batanes, 42.46 kilometers (26.38 miles) to the South‑Southeast (S15°E)
- Ivana, Batanes, 46.55 kilometers (28.92 miles) to the South (S9°E)
- Uyugan, Batanes, 49.37 kilometers (30.67 miles) to the South‑Southeast (S12°E)
- Sabtang, Batanes, 50.31 kilometers (31.26 miles) to the South (S4°E)
- Calayan, Cagayan, 172.97 kilometers (107.48 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S13°W)
- Laoag, Ilocos Norte, 315.03 kilometers (195.75 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S25°W)
- Batac, Ilocos Norte, 330.53 kilometers (205.38 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S24°W)
- Tuguegarao, Cagayan, 351.45 kilometers (218.38 miles) to the South (S2°W)
- Tabuk, Kalinga, 375.61 kilometers (233.39 miles) to the South (S6°W)
- Vigan, Ilocos Sur, 387.13 kilometers (240.55 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S23°W)
- Ilagan, Isabela, 403.13 kilometers (250.49 miles) to the South (S1°E)
Distance from Manila: 691.72 kilometers (429.81 miles) to the South (S8°W)
- Population (2015): 2,867, ranked 1,624 out of 1,634
- Land area (2007): 32.10 square kilometers, ranked 1,154 out of 1,634
- Population density (2015): 34 inhabitants per square kilometer, ranked 1,580 out of 1,634
- Annual population growth rate (2010 to 2015): -0.78%, ranked 1,603 out of 1,634
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.