|Region||Cagayan Valley (Region II)|
|Marine waterbodies||South China Sea, Luzon Strait|
|Area (2007)||12.90 km2 (4.98 sq mi)|
|Density (2015)||121 / km2 (312 / sq mi)|
|Coordinates||20° 25' North, 121° 57' East (20.4158, 121.9479)|
|Estimated elevation above sea level||11.0 meters (36.1 feet)|
Mahatao is a coastal municipality in the island province of Batanes.
The municipality has a land area of 12.90 square kilometers or 4.98 square miles which constitutes 5.89% of Batanes's total area. Its population as determined by the 2015 Census was 1,555. This represented 9.02% of the total population of Batanes province, or 0.05% of the overall population of the Cagayan Valley region. Based on these figures, the population density is computed at 121 inhabitants per square kilometer or 312 inhabitants per square mile.
Mahatao has 4 barangays as shown in the following table.
Demographic profile of barangays
The population of Mahatao grew from 1,242 in 1960 to 1,555 in 2015, an increase of 313 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a negative growth rate of 0.34%, or a decrease of 28 people, from the previous population of 1,583 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
The municipal center of Mahatao is situated at approximately 20° 25' North, 121° 57' East, in the island of Batan. Elevation at these coordinates is estimated at 11.0 meters or 36.1 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Mahatao are Laoag, Batac, Tuguegarao, Tabuk, Vigan, and Ilagan. The nearest municipalities are Basco, Ivana, Uyugan, Sabtang, Itbayat, and Calayan. Its distance from the national capital is 652.84 kilometers (405.66 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- Basco, Batanes, 4.49 kilometers (2.79 miles) to the North‑Northeast (N30°E)
- Ivana, Batanes, 6.07 kilometers (3.77 miles) to the Southwest (S35°W)
- Uyugan, Batanes, 7.37 kilometers (4.58 miles) to the South (S7°W)
- Sabtang, Batanes, 12.07 kilometers (7.50 miles) to the Southwest (S40°W)
- Itbayat, Batanes, 42.46 kilometers (26.38 miles) to the North‑Northwest (N15°W)
- Calayan, Cagayan, 136.98 kilometers (85.11 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S21°W)
- Laoag, Ilocos Norte, 283.84 kilometers (176.37 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S30°W)
- Batac, Ilocos Norte, 298.95 kilometers (185.76 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S29°W)
- Tuguegarao, Cagayan, 311.13 kilometers (193.33 miles) to the South (S4°W)
- Tabuk, Kalinga, 336.53 kilometers (209.11 miles) to the South (S9°W)
- Vigan, Ilocos Sur, 355.03 kilometers (220.60 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S28°W)
- Ilagan, Isabela, 362.19 kilometers (225.05 miles) to the South (S1°W)
Distance from Manila: 652.84 kilometers (405.66 miles) to the South (S9°W)
- Population (2015): 1,555, ranked 1,631 out of 1,634
- Land area (2007): 4.98 square kilometers, ranked 1,614 out of 1,634
- Population density (2015): 121 inhabitants per square kilometer, ranked 1,257 out of 1,634
- Annual population growth rate (2010 to 2015): -0.34%, ranked 1,580 out of 1,634
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.