|Region||Cagayan Valley (Region II)|
|Marine waterbodies||South China Sea, Luzon Strait|
|Area (2007)||12.90 km2|
(4.98 sq. mi)
|Density (2015)||121 per km2|
(312 per sq. mi)
|Coordinates||20° 25' North, 121° 57' East|
(20.4158 ° N, 121.9479 ° E)
above sea level
|(Jump to Map)|
Mahatao is a coastal municipality in the island province of Batanes.
The municipality has a land area of 12.90 square kilometers or 4.98 square miles which constitutes 5.89% of Batanes's total area. The 2015 Census records its population as 1,555 representing 9.02% of the total population of Batanes province, or 0.05% of the overall population of the Cagayan Valley region. Based on such figures, the population density is computed at 121 inhabitants per square kilometer or 312 inhabitants per square mile.
Demographic profile of barangays
Mahatao has 4 barangays as shown in the following table.
The population of Mahatao grew from 1,242 in 1960 to 1,555 in 2015, an increase of 313 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a negative growth rate of 0.34%, or a decrease of 28 people, from the previous population of 1,583 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
|1960 Feb 15||1,242||–|
|1970 May 6||1,475||1.70%|
|1975 May 1||1,476||0.01%|
|1980 May 1||1,388||-1.22%|
|1990 May 1||1,724||2.19%|
|1995 Sep 1||1,556||-1.90%|
|2000 May 1||1,895||4.32%|
|2007 Aug 1||1,539||-2.83%|
|2010 May 1||1,583||1.03%|
|2015 Aug 1||1,555||-0.34%|
The town center of Mahatao is situated at approximately 20° 25' North, 121° 57' East, which has an elevation estimated at 11.0 meters or 36.1 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Mahatao are Laoag, Batac, Tuguegarao, Tabuk, Vigan, and Ilagan. The nearest municipalities are Basco, Ivana, Uyugan, Sabtang, Itbayat, and Calayan. Its distance from the national capital is 652.84 kilometers (405.66 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- Basco, Batanes, 4.49 kilometers (2.79 miles) to the North‑Northeast (N30°E)
- Ivana, Batanes, 6.07 kilometers (3.77 miles) to the Southwest (S35°W)
- Uyugan, Batanes, 7.37 kilometers (4.58 miles) to the South (S7°W)
- Sabtang, Batanes, 12.07 kilometers (7.50 miles) to the Southwest (S40°W)
- Itbayat, Batanes, 42.46 kilometers (26.38 miles) to the North‑Northwest (N15°W)
- Calayan, Cagayan, 136.98 kilometers (85.11 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S21°W)
- Laoag, Ilocos Norte, 283.84 kilometers (176.37 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S30°W)
- Batac, Ilocos Norte, 298.95 kilometers (185.76 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S29°W)
- Tuguegarao, Cagayan, 311.13 kilometers (193.33 miles) to the South (S4°W)
- Tabuk, Kalinga, 336.53 kilometers (209.11 miles) to the South (S9°W)
- Vigan, Ilocos Sur, 355.03 kilometers (220.60 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S28°W)
- Ilagan, Isabela, 362.19 kilometers (225.05 miles) to the South (S1°W)
Distance from Manila: 652.84 kilometers (405.66 miles) to the South (S9°W)
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.