|Region||Cagayan Valley (Region II)|
|Marine waterbodies||South China Sea, Luzon Strait|
|Area (2007)||16.28 km2|
(6.29 sq. mi)
|Density (2015)||80 per km2|
(206 per sq. mi)
|Coordinates||20° 21' North, 121° 56' East|
(20.3497 ° N, 121.9394 ° E)
above sea level
|(Jump to Map)|
Uyugan is a coastal municipality in the island province of Batanes.
The municipality has a land area of 16.28 square kilometers or 6.29 square miles which constitutes 7.43% of Batanes's total area. The 2015 Census records its population as 1,297 representing 7.52% of the total population of Batanes province, or 0.04% of the overall population of the Cagayan Valley region. Based on such figures, the population density is computed at 80 inhabitants per square kilometer or 206 inhabitants per square mile.
Demographic profile of barangays
Uyugan has 4 barangays as shown in the following table.
The population of Uyugan grew from 1,029 in 1960 to 1,297 in 2015, an increase of 268 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a positive growth rate of 0.86%, or an increase of 57 people, from the previous population of 1,240 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
|1960 Feb 15||1,029||–|
|1970 May 6||1,058||0.27%|
|1975 May 1||1,115||1.06%|
|1980 May 1||1,122||0.13%|
|1990 May 1||1,198||0.66%|
|1995 Sep 1||1,265||1.02%|
|2000 May 1||1,268||0.05%|
|2007 Aug 1||1,203||-0.72%|
|2010 May 1||1,240||1.11%|
|2015 Aug 1||1,297||0.86%|
The town center of Uyugan is situated at approximately 20° 21' North, 121° 56' East, which has an elevation estimated at 13.7 meters or 44.8 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Uyugan are Laoag, Batac, Tuguegarao, Tabuk, Vigan, and Ilagan. The nearest municipalities are Ivana, Mahatao, Sabtang, Basco, Itbayat, and Calayan. Its distance from the national capital is 645.48 kilometers (401.08 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- Ivana, Batanes, 3.54 kilometers (2.20 miles) to the Northwest (N48°W)
- Mahatao, Batanes, 7.37 kilometers (4.58 miles) to the North (N7°E)
- Sabtang, Batanes, 7.14 kilometers (4.44 miles) to the West‑Southwest (S74°W)
- Basco, Batanes, 11.63 kilometers (7.23 miles) to the North‑Northeast (N16°E)
- Itbayat, Batanes, 49.37 kilometers (30.67 miles) to the North‑Northwest (N12°W)
- Calayan, Cagayan, 129.85 kilometers (80.68 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S22°W)
- Laoag, Ilocos Norte, 277.09 kilometers (172.18 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S31°W)
- Batac, Ilocos Norte, 292.15 kilometers (181.53 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S30°W)
- Tuguegarao, Cagayan, 303.77 kilometers (188.75 miles) to the South (S4°W)
- Tabuk, Kalinga, 329.16 kilometers (204.53 miles) to the South (S9°W)
- Vigan, Ilocos Sur, 348.15 kilometers (216.33 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S28°W)
- Ilagan, Isabela, 354.85 kilometers (220.50 miles) to the South (S1°W)
Distance from Manila: 645.48 kilometers (401.08 miles) to the South (S9°W)
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.