|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Province||Agusan del Norte|
|Marine waterbodies||Butuan Bay [Bohol Sea]|
|Area (2007)||44.31 km2 (17.11 sq mi)|
|Density (2015)||474 / km2 (1,228 / sq mi)|
|Coordinates||9° 1' North, 125° 31' East (9.0225, 125.5179)|
|Estimated elevation above sea level||6.7 meters (22.0 feet)|
Magallanes is a coastal municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte.
The municipality has a land area of 44.31 square kilometers or 17.11 square miles which constitutes 1.62% of Agusan del Norte's total area. Its population as determined by the 2015 Census was 21,007. This represented 5.93% of the total population of Agusan del Norte province, or 0.81% of the overall population of the Caraga region. Based on these figures, the population density is computed at 474 inhabitants per square kilometer or 1,228 inhabitants per square mile.
Magallanes has 8 barangays as shown in the following table.
Demographic profile of barangays
|Barangay||Population percentage (2015)||Population (2015)||Population (2010)||Change (2010‑2015)||Annual Population Growth Rate (2010‑2015)|
The population of Magallanes grew from 7,377 in 1970 to 21,007 in 2015, an increase of 13,630 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a negative growth rate of 0.42%, or a decrease of 474 people, from the previous population of 21,481 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
The municipal center of Magallanes is situated at approximately 9° 1' North, 125° 31' East, in the island of Mindanao. Elevation at these coordinates is estimated at 6.7 meters or 22.0 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Magallanes are Butuan, Cabadbaran, Bayugan, Gingoog, Tandag, and Surigao City. The nearest municipalities are Remedios T. Romualdez, Buenavista, Tubay, Nasipit, Santiago, and Carmen. Its distance from the national capital is 789.78 kilometers (490.75 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- Remedios T. Romualdez, Agusan del Norte, 8.06 kilometers (5.01 miles) to the East‑Northeast (N66°E)
- Buenavista, Agusan del Norte, 13.10 kilometers (8.14 miles) to the West‑Southwest (S66°W)
- Tubay, Agusan del Norte, 15.77 kilometers (9.80 miles) to the North (N2°E)
- Nasipit, Agusan del Norte, 19.84 kilometers (12.32 miles) to the West (S79°W)
- Santiago, Agusan del Norte, 27.26 kilometers (16.94 miles) to the North (N10°E)
- Carmen, Agusan del Norte, 27.94 kilometers (17.36 miles) to the West (S85°W)
- Butuan, 7.74 kilometers (4.81 miles) to the South (S9°E)
- Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte, 11.24 kilometers (6.99 miles) to the North (N9°E)
- Bayugan, Agusan del Sur, 42.46 kilometers (26.39 miles) to the Southeast (S36°E)
- Gingoog, Misamis Oriental, 50.56 kilometers (31.42 miles) to the West‑Southwest (S64°W)
- Tandag, Surigao del Sur, 75.00 kilometers (46.60 miles) to the East (N85°E)
- Surigao City, Surigao del Norte, 84.69 kilometers (52.63 miles) to the North (N2°W)
Distance from Manila: 789.78 kilometers (490.75 miles) to the Northwest (N38°W)
- Population (2015): 21,007, ranked 1,234 out of 1,634
- Land area (2007): 17.11 square kilometers, ranked 1,440 out of 1,634
- Population density (2015): 474 inhabitants per square kilometer, ranked 407 out of 1,634
- Annual population growth rate (2010 to 2015): -0.42%, ranked 1,589 out of 1,634
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.