|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Province||Agusan del Norte|
|Marine waterbodies||Butuan Bay [Bohol Sea]|
|Area (2007)||44.31 km2|
(17.11 sq. mi)
|Density (2015)||474 per km2|
(1,228 per sq. mi)
|Coordinates||9° 1' North, 125° 31' East|
(9.0225 ° N, 125.5179 ° E)
above sea level
|(Jump to Map)|
Magallanes is a coastal municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte.
The municipality has a land area of 44.31 square kilometers or 17.11 square miles which constitutes 1.62% of Agusan del Norte's total area. The 2015 Census records its population as 21,007 representing 5.93% of the total population of Agusan del Norte province, or 0.81% of the overall population of the Caraga region. Based on such figures, the population density is computed at 474 inhabitants per square kilometer or 1,228 inhabitants per square mile.
Demographic profile of barangays
Magallanes has 8 barangays as shown in the following table.
The population of Magallanes grew from 7,377 in 1970 to 21,007 in 2015, an increase of 13,630 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a negative growth rate of 0.42%, or a decrease of 474 people, from the previous population of 21,481 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
|1960 Feb 15||–||–|
|1970 May 6||7,377||–|
|1975 May 1||11,412||9.15%|
|1980 May 1||15,994||6.98%|
|1990 May 1||16,211||0.13%|
|1995 Sep 1||17,523||1.47%|
|2000 May 1||19,895||2.76%|
|2007 Aug 1||20,930||0.70%|
|2010 May 1||21,481||0.95%|
|2015 Aug 1||21,007||-0.42%|
The town center of Magallanes is situated at approximately 9° 1' North, 125° 31' East, which has an elevation estimated at 6.7 meters or 22.0 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Magallanes are Butuan, Cabadbaran, Bayugan, Gingoog, Tandag, and Surigao City. The nearest municipalities are Remedios T. Romualdez, Buenavista, Tubay, Nasipit, Santiago, and Carmen. Its distance from the national capital is 789.78 kilometers (490.75 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- Remedios T. Romualdez, Agusan del Norte, 8.06 kilometers (5.01 miles) to the East‑Northeast (N66°E)
- Buenavista, Agusan del Norte, 13.10 kilometers (8.14 miles) to the West‑Southwest (S66°W)
- Tubay, Agusan del Norte, 15.77 kilometers (9.80 miles) to the North (N2°E)
- Nasipit, Agusan del Norte, 19.84 kilometers (12.32 miles) to the West (S79°W)
- Santiago, Agusan del Norte, 27.26 kilometers (16.94 miles) to the North (N10°E)
- Carmen, Agusan del Norte, 27.94 kilometers (17.36 miles) to the West (S85°W)
- Butuan, 7.74 kilometers (4.81 miles) to the South (S9°E)
- Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte, 11.24 kilometers (6.99 miles) to the North (N9°E)
- Bayugan, Agusan del Sur, 42.46 kilometers (26.39 miles) to the Southeast (S36°E)
- Gingoog, Misamis Oriental, 50.56 kilometers (31.42 miles) to the West‑Southwest (S64°W)
- Tandag, Surigao del Sur, 75.00 kilometers (46.60 miles) to the East (N85°E)
- Surigao City, Surigao del Norte, 84.69 kilometers (52.63 miles) to the North (N2°W)
Distance from Manila: 789.78 kilometers (490.75 miles) to the Northwest (N38°W)
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.