|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Province||Agusan del Norte|
|Marine waterbodies||none (landlocked)|
|Area (2007)||275.61 km2 (106.41 sq mi)|
|Density (2015)||88 / km2 (227 / sq mi)|
|Coordinates||9° 16' North, 125° 34' East (9.2654, 125.5602)|
|Estimated elevation above sea level||72.3 meters (237.1 feet)|
Santiago is a landlocked municipality in the coastal province of Agusan del Norte.
The municipality has a land area of 275.61 square kilometers or 106.41 square miles which constitutes 10.09% of Agusan del Norte's total area. Its population as determined by the 2015 Census was 24,200. This represented 6.83% of the total population of Agusan del Norte province, or 0.93% of the overall population of the Caraga region. Based on these figures, the population density is computed at 88 inhabitants per square kilometer or 227 inhabitants per square mile.
Santiago has 8 barangays as shown in the following table.
Demographic profile of barangays
|Barangay||Population percentage (2015)||Population (2015)||Population (2010)||Change (2010‑2015)||Annual Population Growth Rate (2010‑2015)|
The population of Tubay grew from 7,133 in 1960 to 24,932 in 2015, an increase of 17,799 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a positive growth rate of 3.87%, or an increase of 4,506 people, from the previous population of 20,426 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
The municipal center of Santiago is situated at approximately 9° 16' North, 125° 34' East, in the island of Mindanao. Elevation at these coordinates is estimated at 72.3 meters or 237.1 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Santiago are Cabadbaran, Butuan, Surigao City, Bayugan, Gingoog, and Tandag. The nearest municipalities are Jabonga, Tubay, Kitcharao, Alegria, Remedios T. Romualdez, and Magallanes. Its distance from the national capital is 771.85 kilometers (479.61 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- Jabonga, Agusan del Norte, 9.80 kilometers (6.09 miles) to the North‑Northwest (N29°W)
- Tubay, Agusan del Norte, 11.85 kilometers (7.36 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S20°W)
- Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte, 21.02 kilometers (13.06 miles) to the North (N4°E)
- Alegria, Surigao del Norte, 22.53 kilometers (14.00 miles) to the North (N5°E)
- Remedios T. Romualdez, Agusan del Norte, 23.78 kilometers (14.78 miles) to the South (S7°E)
- Magallanes, Agusan del Norte, 27.26 kilometers (16.94 miles) to the South (S10°W)
- Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte, 16.02 kilometers (9.95 miles) to the South (S10°W)
- Butuan, 34.68 kilometers (21.55 miles) to the South (S6°W)
- Surigao City, Surigao del Norte, 58.27 kilometers (36.21 miles) to the North (N7°W)
- Bayugan, Agusan del Sur, 64.36 kilometers (39.99 miles) to the South‑Southeast (S19°E)
- Gingoog, Misamis Oriental, 69.99 kilometers (43.49 miles) to the Southwest (S46°W)
- Tandag, Surigao del Sur, 73.00 kilometers (45.36 miles) to the East‑Southeast (S74°E)
Distance from Manila: 771.85 kilometers (479.61 miles) to the Northwest (N40°W)
- Population (2015): 24,200, ranked 1,124 out of 1,634
- Land area (2007): 106.41 square kilometers, ranked 371 out of 1,634
- Population density (2015): 88 inhabitants per square kilometer, ranked 1,378 out of 1,634
- Annual population growth rate (2010 to 2015): 2.78%, ranked 153 out of 1,634
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.