|Region||Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)|
|Marine waterbodies||none (landlocked)|
|Area (2007)||215.97 km2 (83.39 sq mi)|
|Density (2015)||21 / km2 (54 / sq mi)|
|Coordinates||17° 43' North, 120° 42' East (17.7207, 120.7058)|
|Estimated elevation above sea level||110.2 meters (361.6 feet)|
Lagayan is a municipality in the landlocked province of Abra.
The municipality has a land area of 215.97 square kilometers or 83.39 square miles which constitutes 5.19% of Abra's total area. Its population as determined by the 2015 Census was 4,499. This represented 1.87% of the total population of Abra province, or 0.26% of the overall population of the Cordillera Administrative Region. Based on these figures, the population density is computed at 21 inhabitants per square kilometer or 54 inhabitants per square mile.
Lagayan has 5 barangays as shown in the following table.
Demographic profile of barangays
|Barangay||Population percentage (2015)||Population (2015)||Population (2010)||Change (2010‑2015)||Annual Population Growth Rate (2010‑2015)|
The population of Lagayan grew from 2,750 in 1960 to 4,499 in 2015, an increase of 1,749 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a positive growth rate of 0.09%, or an increase of 22 people, from the previous population of 4,477 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
The municipal center of Lagayan is situated at approximately 17° 43' North, 120° 42' East, in the island of Luzon. Elevation at these coordinates is estimated at 110.2 meters or 361.6 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Lagayan are Vigan, Batac, Laoag, Candon, Tabuk, and Tuguegarao. The nearest municipalities are San Juan, La Paz, Danglas, Dolores, Lagangilang, and Tayum. Its distance from the national capital is 347.62 kilometers (216.00 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- San Juan, Abra, 4.98 kilometers (3.09 miles) to the Southeast (S34°E)
- La Paz, Abra, 5.37 kilometers (3.34 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S24°W)
- Danglas, Abra, 6.35 kilometers (3.95 miles) to the Southwest (S50°W)
- Dolores, Abra, 7.95 kilometers (4.94 miles) to the South (S3°E)
- Lagangilang, Abra, 12.59 kilometers (7.82 miles) to the South‑Southeast (S14°E)
- Tayum, Abra, 12.72 kilometers (7.90 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S25°W)
- Vigan, Ilocos Sur, 37.61 kilometers (23.37 miles) to the West‑Southwest (S64°W)
- Batac, Ilocos Norte, 40.10 kilometers (24.92 miles) to the North‑Northwest (N22°W)
- Laoag, Ilocos Norte, 54.07 kilometers (33.60 miles) to the North‑Northwest (N13°W)
- Candon, Ilocos Sur, 64.88 kilometers (40.32 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S25°W)
- Tabuk, Kalinga, 85.42 kilometers (53.08 miles) to the East‑Southeast (S67°E)
- Tuguegarao, Cagayan, 109.61 kilometers (68.11 miles) to the East (S84°E)
Distance from Manila: 347.62 kilometers (216.00 miles) to the South (S5°E)
- Population (2015): 4,499, ranked 1,613 out of 1,634
- Land area (2007): 83.39 square kilometers, ranked 505 out of 1,634
- Population density (2015): 21 inhabitants per square kilometer, ranked 1,602 out of 1,634
- Annual population growth rate (2010 to 2015): 0.09%, ranked 1,531 out of 1,634
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.