|Region||Ilocos Region (Region I)|
|Marine waterbodies||South China Sea|
|Philippine major island(s)||Luzon|
|Area (2013)||116.08 km2 (44.82 sq mi)|
|Density (2020)||962 / km2 (2,491 / sq mi)|
|Coordinates||18° 12' North, 120° 36' East (18.1973, 120.5935)|
|Estimated elevation above sea level||12.5 meters (41.1 feet)|
Laoag is a coastal component city in the province of Ilocos Norte. It serves as the provincial capital.
The city has a land area of 116.08 square kilometers or 44.82 square miles which constitutes 3.40% of Ilocos Norte's total area. Its population as determined by the 2020 Census was 111,651. This represented 18.32% of the total population of Ilocos Norte province, or 2.11% of the overall population of the Ilocos Region. Based on these figures, the population density is computed at 962 inhabitants per square kilometer or 2,491 inhabitants per square mile.
Laoag has 80 barangays as shown in the following table.
Demographic profile of barangays
The annual regular revenue of Laoag for the fiscal year of 2016 was ₱636,971,584.19.
|Fiscal Year||Annual Regular Income||Change|
The household population of Laoag in the 2015 Census was 110,413 broken down into 25,285 households or an average of 4.37 members per household.
|Census date||Household population||Number of households||Average household size|
Population by age group
According to the 2015 Census, the age group with the highest population in Laoag is 15 to 19, with 10,108 individuals. Conversely, the age group with the lowest population is 75 to 79, with 1,549 individuals.
|Age group||Population (2015)||Age group percentage|
|1 to 4||7,982||7.18%|
|5 to 9||9,906||8.91%|
|10 to 14||9,955||8.96%|
|15 to 19||10,108||9.10%|
|20 to 24||9,693||8.72%|
|25 to 29||9,095||8.18%|
|30 to 34||8,881||7.99%|
|35 to 39||8,169||7.35%|
|40 to 44||7,072||6.36%|
|45 to 49||6,498||5.85%|
|50 to 54||5,501||4.95%|
|55 to 59||4,564||4.11%|
|60 to 64||3,694||3.32%|
|65 to 69||2,776||2.50%|
|70 to 74||2,047||1.84%|
|75 to 79||1,549||1.39%|
|80 and over||1,697||1.53%|
The population of Laoag grew from 34,454 in 1903 to 111,651 in 2020, an increase of 77,197 people over the course of 117 years. The latest census figures in 2020 denote a positive growth rate of 0.10%, or an increase of 526 people, from the previous population of 111,125 in 2015.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
The total number of registered voters or electorate in Laoag for the year 2019 was 78,731, broken down into 37,784 males and 40,947 females.
The city center of Laoag is situated at approximately 18° 12' North, 120° 36' East, in the island of Luzon. Elevation at these coordinates is estimated at 12.5 meters or 41.1 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Laoag are Batac, Ilocos Norte, Vigan, Ilocos Sur, Candon, Ilocos Sur, Tabuk, Kalinga, Tuguegarao, Cagayan, and San Fernando, La Union. The nearest municipalities are San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte, Bacarra, Ilocos Norte, Vintar, Ilocos Norte, Sarrat, Ilocos Norte, Piddig, Ilocos Norte, and Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte. Its distance from the national capital is 401.26 kilometers (249.33 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte, 2.48 kilometers (1.54 miles) to the South (S2°E)
- Bacarra, Ilocos Norte, 6.44 kilometers (4.00 miles) to the North‑Northeast (N17°E)
- Vintar, Ilocos Norte, 6.89 kilometers (4.28 miles) to the East‑Northeast (N58°E)
- Sarrat, Ilocos Norte, 7.20 kilometers (4.47 miles) to the Southeast (S51°E)
- Piddig, Ilocos Norte, 13.54 kilometers (8.41 miles) to the East‑Southeast (S74°E)
- Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte, 15.37 kilometers (9.55 miles) to the North (N10°E)
- Batac, Ilocos Norte, 15.88 kilometers (9.87 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S11°W)
- Vigan, Ilocos Sur, 72.50 kilometers (45.05 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S18°W)
- Candon, Ilocos Sur, 112.61 kilometers (69.97 miles) to the South (S8°W)
- Tabuk, Kalinga, 122.48 kilometers (76.10 miles) to the Southeast (S49°E)
- Tuguegarao, Cagayan, 136.97 kilometers (85.11 miles) to the East‑Southeast (S62°E)
- San Fernando, La Union, 177.39 kilometers (110.23 miles) to the South (S10°W)
Distance from Manila: 401.26 kilometers (249.33 miles) to the South (S6°E)
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages), household data, and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Data on registered voters is from the Commission on Elections.
- Data on annual regular income is from the Bureau of Local Government Finance, Department of Finance
- Postal code information is from the Philippine Postal Corporation.