|Region||Cagayan Valley (Region II)|
|Marine waterbodies||South China Sea, Luzon Strait|
|Area (2007)||49.46 km2 (19.10 sq mi)|
|Density (2015)||173 / km2 (449 / sq mi)|
|Coordinates||20° 27' North, 121° 58' East (20.4509, 121.9694)|
|Estimated elevation above sea level||23.4 meters (76.8 feet)|
Basco is a coastal municipality in the island province of Batanes. It serves as the provincial capital.
The municipality has a land area of 49.46 square kilometers or 19.10 square miles which constitutes 22.58% of Batanes's total area. Its population as determined by the 2015 Census was 8,579. This represented 49.74% of the total population of Batanes province, or 0.25% of the overall population of the Cagayan Valley region. Based on these figures, the population density is computed at 173 inhabitants per square kilometer or 449 inhabitants per square mile.
Basco has 6 barangays as shown in the following table.
Demographic profile of barangays
|Barangay||Population percentage (2015)||Population (2015)||Population (2010)||Change (2010‑2015)||Annual Population Growth Rate (2010‑2015)|
The population of Basco grew from 2,868 in 1960 to 8,579 in 2015, an increase of 5,711 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a positive growth rate of 1.57%, or an increase of 672 people, from the previous population of 7,907 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
The municipal center of Basco is situated at approximately 20° 27' North, 121° 58' East, in the island of Batan. Elevation at these coordinates is estimated at 23.4 meters or 76.8 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Basco are Laoag, Batac, Tuguegarao, Tabuk, Vigan, and Ilagan. The nearest municipalities are Mahatao, Ivana, Uyugan, Sabtang, Itbayat, and Calayan. Its distance from the national capital is 657.04 kilometers (408.27 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- Mahatao, Batanes, 4.49 kilometers (2.79 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S30°W)
- Ivana, Batanes, 10.55 kilometers (6.55 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S33°W)
- Uyugan, Batanes, 11.63 kilometers (7.23 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S16°W)
- Sabtang, Batanes, 16.50 kilometers (10.25 miles) to the Southwest (S37°W)
- Itbayat, Batanes, 39.43 kilometers (24.50 miles) to the North‑Northwest (N20°W)
- Calayan, Cagayan, 141.41 kilometers (87.87 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S21°W)
- Laoag, Ilocos Norte, 288.33 kilometers (179.16 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S30°W)
- Batac, Ilocos Norte, 303.44 kilometers (188.55 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S29°W)
- Tuguegarao, Cagayan, 315.18 kilometers (195.84 miles) to the South (S5°W)
- Tabuk, Kalinga, 340.73 kilometers (211.72 miles) to the South (S9°W)
- Vigan, Ilocos Sur, 359.51 kilometers (223.39 miles) to the South‑Southwest (S28°W)
- Ilagan, Isabela, 366.12 kilometers (227.49 miles) to the South (S1°W)
Distance from Manila: 657.04 kilometers (408.27 miles) to the South (S9°W)
- Population (2015): 8,579, ranked 1,553 out of 1,634
- Land area (2007): 19.10 square kilometers, ranked 1,392 out of 1,634
- Population density (2015): 173 inhabitants per square kilometer, ranked 1,076 out of 1,634
- Annual population growth rate (2010 to 2015): 1.57%, ranked 614 out of 1,634
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.