|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Province||Agusan del Norte|
|Marine waterbodies||Butuan Bay [Bohol Sea]|
|Area (2007)||311.02 km2 (120.09 sq mi)|
|Density (2015)||67 / km2 (174 / sq mi)|
|Coordinates||8° 60' North, 125° 16' East (8.9999, 125.2648)|
|Estimated elevation above sea level||11.0 meters (36.2 feet)|
Carmen is a coastal municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte.
The municipality has a land area of 311.02 square kilometers or 120.09 square miles which constitutes 11.39% of Agusan del Norte's total area. Its population as determined by the 2015 Census was 20,839. This represented 5.88% of the total population of Agusan del Norte province, or 0.80% of the overall population of the Caraga region. Based on these figures, the population density is computed at 67 inhabitants per square kilometer or 174 inhabitants per square mile.
Carmen has 8 barangays as shown in the following table.
Demographic profile of barangays
|Barangay||Population percentage (2015)||Population (2015)||Population (2010)||Change (2010‑2015)||Annual Population Growth Rate (2010‑2015)|
The population of Carmen grew from 9,593 in 1960 to 20,839 in 2015, an increase of 11,246 people. The latest census figures in 2015 denote a positive growth rate of 1.00%, or an increase of 1,058 people, from the previous population of 19,781 in 2010.
|Census date||Population||Growth rate|
The municipal center of Carmen is situated at approximately 8° 60' North, 125° 16' East, in the island of Mindanao. Elevation at these coordinates is estimated at 11.0 meters or 36.2 feet above mean sea level.
Based on the great-circle distance (the shortest distance between two points over the surface of the Earth), the cities closest to Carmen are Gingoog, Butuan, Cabadbaran, Bayugan, Cagayan de Oro, and Surigao City. The nearest municipalities are Nasipit, Magsaysay, Buenavista, Magallanes, Medina, and Tubay. Its distance from the national capital is 774.83 kilometers (481.46 miles). The following list delineates such distance measurements.
- Nasipit, Agusan del Norte, 8.45 kilometers (5.25 miles) to the East (S81°E)
- Magsaysay, Misamis Oriental, 9.42 kilometers (5.85 miles) to the West‑Northwest (N76°W)
- Buenavista, Agusan del Norte, 16.11 kilometers (10.01 miles) to the East (S80°E)
- Magallanes, Agusan del Norte, 27.94 kilometers (17.36 miles) to the East (N85°E)
- Medina, Misamis Oriental, 28.23 kilometers (17.54 miles) to the West‑Southwest (S70°W)
- Tubay, Agusan del Norte, 33.71 kilometers (20.95 miles) to the East‑Northeast (N57°E)
- Gingoog, Misamis Oriental, 26.28 kilometers (16.33 miles) to the Southwest (S42°W)
- Butuan, 29.48 kilometers (18.32 miles) to the East (S80°E)
- Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte, 32.63 kilometers (20.27 miles) to the East‑Northeast (N65°E)
- Bayugan, Agusan del Sur, 61.84 kilometers (38.43 miles) to the East‑Southeast (S59°E)
- Cagayan de Oro, 88.72 kilometers (55.13 miles) to the Southwest (S50°W)
- Surigao City, Surigao del Norte, 90.64 kilometers (56.32 miles) to the North‑Northeast (N16°E)
Distance from Manila: 774.83 kilometers (481.46 miles) to the Northwest (N36°W)
- Population (2015): 20,839, ranked 1,244 out of 1,634
- Land area (2007): 120.09 square kilometers, ranked 305 out of 1,634
- Population density (2015): 67 inhabitants per square kilometer, ranked 1,466 out of 1,634
- Annual population growth rate (2010 to 2015): 1.00%, ranked 1,089 out of 1,634
- Unless otherwise specified, population count (excluding percentages) and land area figures are derived from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
- Postal codes are from the Philippine Postal Corporation.